Progression of Science
Science Week at Donnington Primary School
The children in Donnington were very busy for British Science Week last week.
Each class carried out an amazing investigation during the week.
On Friday 17th March we then held our brilliant Science Fair.
2 children from each class became wonderful science professors and presented their experiment to the entire school! Our professors worked so hard to teach everyone about the science that had been going on in their class.
Wow! What a great achievement!
Take a look at some of our presentation boards and our professors in action!
Our Science Curriculum
We live in an increasingly scientific and technological age where children need to acquire the knowledge, skills and attitudes to prepare them for life in the 21st century.
We, at Donnington Primary School believe that the teaching of science develops in children an interest and curiosity about the world in which they live, and fosters in them a respect for the environment.
We aim that all pupils:
· Develop enjoyment and interest in science and an appreciation of its contribution to all aspects of everyday life
· Build on their curiosity and sense of awe of the natural world
· Use a planned range of investigations and practical activities to allow them a greater
· Understanding of the concepts and knowledge of science
· Are introduced to the language and vocabulary of science
· Develop practical skills and their ability to make accurate and appropriate measurements
At Donnington we follow the Hamilton Science scheme of learning.
Hamilton's science scheme uses hands-on investigative science activities to promote a deep understanding of scientific concepts and help children develop effective methods of scientific enquiry.
Planning is arranged to take advantage of seasonal study opportunities and to ensure progression in scientific working skills, while covering the National Curriculum for England. Each year is comprised of 6 blocks of 6 sessions dedicated to one of the science areas and culminating in a meaningful outcome.
Children work scientifically at Donnington and aim to focus on at least 1 of these skills each lesson. The 7 enquiry skills include:
- Asking questions
- Making predictions
- Setting up tests
- Observing and measuring
- Recording data
- Interpreting and communicating results
Useful Websites for Science at Home